Global Health Perspectives in PeruSummer experience for undergrads in pre-health studies
Medical Shadowing and Global Health Perspectives in Peru
Medical Shadowing and Global Health Perspectives in Peru. Mennonite Healthcare Fellowship (MHF) invites undergraduate students from any health-related pre-professional program (pre-med, nursing, pre-PA, pre-PT, pre-dentistry, etc.) to participate in this six-week learning experience in Peru in July and August of 2020 (exact dates to be determined depending on the group) with the following activities:
- Shadow Peruvian health professionals at a variety of public hospitals and clinics in urban and rural contexts. Shadowing opportunities specific to your disciplinary interest are available (~80hrs is expected).
- Participate in lectures about global health issues by Peruvian academics.
- Use best practices to conduct a medical outreach campaign in the Amazon city of Iquitos along with the National University of San Marcos and the National University of the Amazon (Peru), with a contribution to Global Health research
- Nurture important conversations about the integration of faith and practice from an Anabaptist perspective.
- Participate in an immersive experience (living and working with Peruvians) to develop a global awareness of social groups, systems, contexts and institutions.
- Visit Machu Picchu and the Sacred Valley (includes 2-day Inca trail hike) alongside an examination of the Mennonite church’s work in Cusco.
Anticipated cost is $2,250.00 USD plus airfare. (Flight costs from Baltimore/D.C. area are approximately $600.00). These costs include everything: in-country travel, food, host-family accommodations, and Machu Picchu (with 2-day Inca Trail hike). Students in Mennonite and other Anabaptist-related institutions are especially encouraged to apply. Cross-cultural credit is available for Eastern Mennonite University students.
Please contact Kristopher Schmidt by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you are interested in this trip or would like more information.