Student Elective Term (SET)For Graduate Students in Healthcare Disciplines
Student Elective Term (SET)
Mennonite Healthcare Fellowship (MHF) encourages persons studying for healthcare professions to learn and serve in cross-cultural mission/service settings in developing countries. To further this goal, MHF provides educational grant funding for a Student Elective Term (SET).
Program: A SET grant provides travel and living subsidies to enable graduate students in healthcare professional study programs to take a study term in a cross-cultural mission setting in a developing country. MHF also helps with facilitation and coordination of such an experience in cooperation with various Christian agencies. Download:SET Introduction
Eligibility for SET
Examples of eligible students:
- Medical students
- Dental students
- Masters in Nursing students
- Physical therapy students
- Masters in Social Work students
and other students in healthcare-related fields at the masters or doctoral level.
Eligibility Requirements in brief:
- Students in any healthcare-related graduate program may apply.
- Student must be a member of Mennonite Healthcare Fellowship. Students may apply for membership along with their program application.
- Student should have a Mentor Sponsor, preferably a current member of MHF. Please contact the MHF Office for assistance.
- Student will work with his/her educational program and institution, a sponsoring institution or agency, and a placement site to secure a placement that is supervised on site by a qualified preceptor or clinical instructor.
- Placement sites shall be in developing countries or settings and typically related to a Christian church or mission agency. Please contact the MHF Office to discuss any exceptions.
- Term of service will be at least 4 weeks.
Requirements and a timeline for the application process available by PDF download: SET Requirements & Timeline
Application Process in brief:
- Contact the MHF Office to express interest. The MHF Office can send forms by email upon request or you can download them.
- Download and fill out the application form. Arrange for SET Reference Request to be sent to three references. Applications are accepted starting in February for the academic year that begins the following August or September. Applications and references are due in the MHF Office by May 15th.
- Applications are reviewed by a process established by the MHF Board of Directors. Up to five scholarships of up to $2,000 are awarded by June 15 for use during the following academic year.
- Funding is contingent upon students subsequently completing all of the necessary preparations and submitting a letter of acceptance from the placement institution.
Publicity materials for 2018-19
Short announcement for bulletins and newsletters
Graduate Students in Healthcare Professions: Mennonite Healthcare Fellowship (MHF) offers scholarship funding for Anabaptist students to learn and serve in cross-cultural mission/service settings in developing countries. Deadline for 2018-19 academic year is May 15, 2018. For details and application form, visit www.mennohealth.org/student_term, email email@example.com, or call 1-888-406-3643.
Flyer for bulletin boards and mailboxes
Contact the MHF Office for more information or further assistance.
Participants in SET
SET Grant Recipients this year
Four medical students and one Masters in Nursing student are recipients of this academic year’s Student Elective Term educational grants. Read about them on the SET 2017-18 page.